Cajun Meat Pies
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 1/2 pounds ground
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley,
- 2 tablespoons garlic puree
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 cups self-rising flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Filling: Cook meat and seasoning over medium heat until meat is browned.
Stir bread crumbs into the meat mixture.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Drain mixture in colander and set aside.
- Pastry: Sift flour into a medium bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles
coarse crumbs. Add milk and egg. Stir with fork until ingredients are moistened.
- Shape dough into a ball and divide into 3 balls. Roll 1/3 of dough out on
a lightly floured cloth to about 1/8 inch thickness. Cut dough into 5 1/2-inch
circles, using a saucer as a cutting guide. Place cut dough on a lightly greased
- Place a large spoonful of meat filling on one side of each pastry round.
Moisten edges of rounds with a small amount of water. Fold pastry over to cover
filling. Seal edges using a fork dipped in water. Prick pastry gently with a
- Deep fry in hot oil (350 degrees F) until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve warm.
May be frozen uncooked in zip-type bags. Cook frozen.
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Deep Fried Turkeys
Deviled Louisiana Blue Crab Cakes with Smoky Rémoulade Sauce
Louisiana Crawfish Ravioli with Crawfish Cream Sauce