Cajun Meat Pies
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic puree
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 cups self-rising flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Filling: Cook meat and seasoning over medium heat until meat is browned.
Stir bread crumbs into the meat mixture.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Drain mixture in colander and set aside.
- Pastry: Sift flour into a medium bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles
coarse crumbs. Add milk and egg. Stir with fork until ingredients are moistened.
- Shape dough into a ball and divide into 3 balls. Roll 1/3 of dough out on
a lightly floured cloth to about 1/8 inch thickness. Cut dough into 5 1/2-inch
circles, using a saucer as a cutting guide. Place cut dough on a lightly greased
- Place a large spoonful of meat filling on one side of each pastry round.
Moisten edges of rounds with a small amount of water. Fold pastry over to cover
filling. Seal edges using a fork dipped in water. Prick pastry gently with a
- Deep fry in hot oil (350 degrees F) until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve warm.
May be frozen uncooked in zip-type bags. Cook frozen.