Cajun Minestrone with Italian Sausage
A Cajun spin on traditional minestrone soup, this recipe contains Italian sausage,
Parmesan cheese, rice, bell pepper, celery, onions, black-eyed peas and Zatarain’s
Gumbo Mix with Rice. Hearty and tasty altogether.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 package ZATARAIN'S® Gumbo Mix with Rice
- 1/2 cup small pasta, such as ditalini or small shells
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage;
cook and stir 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add celery, bell pepper and onion; cook and stir 3 minutes or until vegetables
begin to softened.
- Stir in tomato, water, Rice Mix and pasta. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to
low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add black-eyed peas; cook 5 minutes longer.
15 mins Prep time
40 mins Cook time
Serving Size: 1 cup
Test Kitchen Tip: Serve with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Nutrition information (Amount per serving) Calories: 242 Cholesterol: 18mg
Sodium: 965mg Protein: 11g Total Fat: 10g Fiber: 3g Carbohydrate: 27g
Recipe and photo credit: Zatarain's