Cajun Minestrone with Italian Sausage
A Cajun spin on traditional minestrone soup, this recipe contains Italian sausage,
Parmesan cheese, rice, bell pepper, celery, onions, black-eyed peas and Zatarain’s
Gumbo Mix with Rice. Hearty and tasty altogether.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium
tomato, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 package ZATARAIN'S® Gumbo Mix
- 1/2 cup small pasta, such as ditalini or small shells
- 1 (15
1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage;
cook and stir 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add celery, bell pepper and onion; cook and stir 3 minutes or until vegetables
begin to softened.
- Stir in tomato, water, Rice Mix and pasta. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to
low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add black-eyed peas; cook 5 minutes longer.
15 mins Prep time
40 mins Cook time
Serving Size: 1 cup
Test Kitchen Tip: Serve with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Nutrition information (Amount per serving) Calories: 242 Cholesterol: 18mg
Sodium: 965mg Protein: 11g Total Fat: 10g Fiber: 3g Carbohydrate: 27g
Reprinted with permission from
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Deep Fried Turkeys
Deviled Louisiana Blue Crab Cakes with Smoky Rémoulade Sauce
Louisiana Crawfish Ravioli with Crawfish Cream Sauce