Cajun Pile-Ups with Pepper Sauce
Reminiscent of New Orleans, these sandwiches are ragin' with flavor from the hot sauce and banana pepper.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil 20 mL
- 2 teaspoons Louisiana-style hot sauce 10 mL
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar 10 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves 1 mL
- 1/2 of (16 oz/ 500g) loaf multigrain Italian bread, cut into 8 slices
- 4 cups (about 2 oz/ 60g) loosely packed, torn romaine pieces 1 L
- 2 tablespoons (1 - 2 oz/ 30 - 60 g) pickled mild banana pepper rings, drained 30 mL
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 4 slices and then halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion 125 mL
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced lean ham 125 g
- 2 thin slices (1 1/2 ounces/ 50 g) reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut in half
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl and stir until completely blended.
- Drizzle one side of each bread slice with sauce and top four bread slices
(sauce side up) with equal amounts of filling ingredients in the order listed,
beginning with torn lettuce.
- Top with remaining bread slices (sauce side down), press down slightly,
and cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 2 halves
Nutritional Analysis: Per Serving Calories 275 Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat
2g Cholesterol 20mg Sodium 530mg Carbohydrates 30g Fibre 5g Protein 18g
Source: "The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast and Flavorful Recipes
Made with Canola Oil" from the American Diabetes Association and CanolaInfo.org