Cajun Pork Pinwheels
Need a creative way to get the family to dinner? Try these tenderloin pinwheels.
- 2 pork tenderloins, 1 pound each
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 to 3 teaspoons lemon pepper
- Using sharp knife, cut lengthwise slit down center of 1 pork tenderloin
almost to, but not through, bottom of tenderloin. Open tenderloin so it lies
flat; cover with plastic wrap. Working from the center to edges, lightly pound
tenderloin with flat side of meat mallet or rolling pin until about 1/4 inch
thick; remove plastic wrap.
- Repeat with remaining tenderloin.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add red bell pepper, onion, celery, thyme, garlic salt, red pepper and paprika;
cook about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender; stirring frequently.
- Spread vegetable mixture evenly over each flattened tenderloin to within
1 inch of edges. Starting with shortest side, roll up; secure edges of each
roll with toothpicks or tie each with string.
- In small bowl combine fennel seed and lemon-pepper; press mixture onto top
and sides of each tenderloin roll. Place rolls seam-side down on rack in shallow pan.
- Roast for about 45 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 160 degrees F.
- Let rolls stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks or string; slice.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 11 hours, 5 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition Information Calories: 197 calories Protein: 31 grams Fat: 7 grams
Sodium: 275 milligrams Cholesterol: 84 milligrams Saturated Fat: 2 grams Carbohydrates:
4 grams Fiber: 1 grams
Reprinted with permission from
the National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Deep Fried Turkeys
Deviled Louisiana Blue Crab Cakes with Smoky Rémoulade Sauce
Louisiana Crawfish Ravioli with Crawfish Cream Sauce