- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) chopped chicken livers
- 6 eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped
- 1 cup skim or low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoon
basil leaves, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In medium saucepan, stir together rice and tomatoes. Bring to boiling. Cover
and cook over low heat until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20
- In skillet over medium heat, cook chicken livers in 1 tablespoon of butter
until tender but not brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Beat 1 egg. Stir in cooked rice and livers. Press mixture onto bottom and
up sides of greased 9-inch pie plate, forming thick edge around rim.
- In same skillet cook celery, green pepper, and onion in remaining butter
until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle into rice crust.
- Beat together remaining eggs, milk, and seasonings. Pour over vegetables.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree F oven until knife inserted near center comes
out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe and photo credit: American Egg Board.