- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) chopped chicken livers
- 6 eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped
- 1 cup skim or low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoon
basil leaves, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In medium saucepan, stir together rice and tomatoes. Bring to boiling. Cover
and cook over low heat until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20
- In skillet over medium heat, cook chicken livers in 1 tablespoon of butter
until tender but not brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Beat 1 egg. Stir in cooked rice and livers. Press mixture onto bottom and
up sides of greased 9-inch pie plate, forming thick edge around rim.
- In same skillet cook celery, green pepper, and onion in remaining butter
until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle into rice crust.
- Beat together remaining eggs, milk, and seasonings. Pour over vegetables.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree F oven until knife inserted near center comes
out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Reprinted with permission from
the American Egg Board.
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Deep Fried Turkeys
Deviled Louisiana Blue Crab Cakes with Smoky Rémoulade Sauce
Louisiana Crawfish Ravioli with Crawfish Cream Sauce