Sprinkled with red jalapenos, onions, tomatoes, green peppers and mushrooms, this hearty Cajun Rice offers wonderfully balanced Cajun flavor. Serve on its own, with meat or seafood - or with a rich roux sauce for a more authentic flair.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Allspice Powder
- 1 Frontier Whole Chipotle Chili Pepper
- 1 cup Frontier Organic Minced Onion
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Minced Garlic
- 1 cup brown rice, raw
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- In medium saucepan, stir together rice and tomatoes. Bring to boiling. Cover and cook over low heat until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- In skillet over medium heat, cook chicken livers in 1 tablespoon of butter until tender but not brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Beat 1 egg. Stir in cooked rice and livers. Press mixture onto bottom and up sides of greased 9-inch pie plate, forming thick edge around rim.
- In same skillet cook celery, green pepper, and onion in remaining butter until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle into rice crust.
- Beat together remaining eggs, milk, and seasonings. Pour over vegetables.
- Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven until knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: