Sprinkled with red jalapenos, onions, tomatoes, green peppers and mushrooms,
this hearty rice dish offers wonderfully balanced Cajun flavor. Serve on its own,
with meat or seafood - or with a rich roux sauce for a more authentic flair.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Allspice Powder
- 1 Frontier Whole Chipotle Chili Pepper
- 1 cup Frontier Organic Minced Onion
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Minced Garlic
- 1 cup brown rice, raw
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- In medium saucepan, stir together rice and tomatoes. Bring to boiling. Cover
and cook over low heat until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20
- In skillet over medium heat, cook chicken livers in 1 tablespoon of butter
until tender but not brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Beat 1 egg. Stir in cooked rice and livers. Press mixture onto bottom and
up sides of greased 9-inch pie plate, forming thick edge around rim.
- In same skillet cook celery, green pepper, and onion in remaining butter
until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle into rice crust.
- Beat together remaining eggs, milk, and seasonings. Pour over vegetables.
- Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven until knife inserted near center comes
out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes