Cajun Seafood Chowder
This chowder would serve a big crowd at a Super Bowl party.
- 1 cup onions, diced small
- 1 cup carrots, diced small
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 ounces vegetable oil
- 1 quart chopped sea clams in juice
- 1 quart
lobster stock (or fish stock
- 1 (16 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 6 potatoes,
- 1 pound bay scallops
- 1 pound langostinos
- 1 pound baby shrimp
- 1 pound crab meat
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot
- 4 ounces sherry
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and white pepper
- In saucepot, sweat the onions, carrots and celery in vegetable oil.
- Add clam juice, lobster stock, diced tomatoes in juice and diced potatoes.
Simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add chopped clams, scallops, shrimp, langostinos, crab meat and sherry.
Bring to simmer. Continue to simmer until seafood is cooked.
- Add Cajun seasoning and Red Hot. Bring to a simmer, and thicken slightly
with cornstarch and water mixture.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- Top with parsley.
Makes 1 gallon, which feeds 15 to 20 people.
Posted by FootsieBear at Recipe Goldmine 6/15/01 5:06:03 pm.
Source: Chef Scott Schmucker, January 23, 2000 - post-gazette.com