Cajun Style Red Beans and Rice with Turkey
A Cajun classic - red beans in a seasoned mild chili sauce, mixed with turkey
and served over rice.
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans mild red beans in chili sauce, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups chopped leftover cooked Butterball® Turkey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, bell
peppers and garlic; cook 7 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in beans, cumin, salt and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce
heat to medium-low; cover. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in turkey; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes, or until heated through, stirring
- Add parsley to rice; mix lightly.
- Spoon onto serving platter; top with the bean mixture.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Total Time less than 1 hour
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 418 Fat 21g Cholesterol 82 Protein
% Daily value: Saturated Fat 8g 0% Trans Fat 0g 0% Sodium 1373mg 0% Carbohydrates
36g 0% Sugar 10g 0% Iron 0% Fiber 0% Calcium 0%
Reprinted with permission from
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Deep Fried Turkeys
Deviled Louisiana Blue Crab Cakes with Smoky Rémoulade Sauce
Louisiana Crawfish Ravioli with Crawfish Cream Sauce