Cajun Yam Cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups canned mashed yams
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 cup granulated
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup (1/2
- 1 pound confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil and flour three 9-inch cake pans. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and oil until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, whipping after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and
cinnamon. Add, a little at a time, into the egg mixture, blending well until
all is incorporated. Fold in the vanilla extract, pecans and mashed yams.
- When all is well blended, pour evenly into the cake pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, make filling by combining pineapple, sugar and cornstarch.
Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- When mixture has thickened, remove from heat and allow filling to cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, butter, confectioners
sugar and vanilla extract. Blend on low speed until well mixed. Whip until frosting
is fluffy and smooth.
- Remove and set aside.
- When cakes are done, remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Remove cakes from baking pans and spread pineapple filling between layers.
Frost with the cream cheese frosting and serve.
Yield: one 9-inch three-layer cake