Calas (Rice Fritters)
These are a New Orleans specialty.
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups cold cooked rice
- About 1 cup all-purpose
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Confectioners' sugar
- Combine eggs and sugar and beat at high speed until pale yellow.
- Add the vanilla extract, nutmeg, lemon, salt, baking powder and rice, and
stir until well mixed.
- Add enough flour, about 1 cup, to bind the ingredients.
- In a skillet, heat oil to 365 degrees F. Drop heaping teaspoonsful of batter
into hot oil, but do not crowd.
- Fry until golden brown, turning once, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the oil, drain briefly, then place on paper towels and keep
- Sift confectioners' sugar over the Calas.