Catfish Gumbo with Bacon and Venison Sausage
- 3 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish Fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 pound smoked venison sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup dry roux mix, such as Tony Chachere’s
- 8 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked white rice and sliced green onions for garnish
- In a large pot, cook bacon and sausage over medium-low heat until
bacon is browned.
- Remove bacon and sausage from heat and reserve.
- Add olive oil, onion, celery, green bell pepper and garlic. Sauté
until onions turn clear, about 10 minutes.
- Add cayenne pepper, black pepper, thyme, oregano and roux mix. Cook
with roux mix for 10 minutes.
- Slowly add chicken broth 1 cup at a time, stirring until
incorporated. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add reserved bacon, sausage and catfish. Simmer gently for about 7
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with cooked white rice and sliced green onions.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes