- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds farm-raised catfish fillets
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sliced okra, thawed
- Hot cooked rice
- Sauté green pepper, celery, onion and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven
- Stir in broth and next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat
and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut catfish into 1-inch pieces; add to gumbo and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in okra; cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over rice.