Catfish La Fitte
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 12 shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1/2 inch strips of ham
- 1 tablespoon dry vermouth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Parsley sprigs and lemon wedges to garnish
- Beat eggs and milk in a shallow dish.
- Mix flour, salt and cayenne pepper in another shallow dish.
- Dredge catfish fillets in flour mixture, then in egg mixture and
again in flour. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or a large, deep skillet to 360 degrees F.
- Fry fillets, 2 at a time, for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until
golden brown and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Place fillets on paper towels to drain.
- Prepare the sauce. Heat 1 tablespoon of the melted butter in a large
skillet over medium heat.
- Add shrimp and sauté until light pink on both sides; do not
- Stir in garlic, ham strips and vermouth.
- Mix in cream, half of the green onions, lemon juice, salt and
cayenne pepper; cook for 1 to 2 minutes to reduce cream.
- Remove from the heat, and whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons of melted
- Place a catfish fillet on each serving plate, and top with 3 shrimp
pieces. Arrange ham strips on top. Spoon sauce onto catfish, and
sprinkle with remaining green onions.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley sprigs and serve.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): The Catfish Institute
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes