- 3 large chayotes
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Salt and red pepper to taste
- 1 stick margarine
- 3/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound salad shrimp
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk and 1 egg, seasoned with salt and pepper
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Boil the chayotes just until tender. Cool and peel. Cut each in half lengthwise
and trim off the end closest to the seed. Remove the seed. Cut a thin slice
from the rounded side of each chayote half so it will sit level. Spoon out pulp
from inside leaving a 1/4 inch shell. Discard pulp.
- Make a roux with 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup flour.
- Add bell peppers, onions, celery and garlic and stir. Remove from heat.
- In a separate saucepan heat the cream and then add the roux, stirring until
- Season shrimp and sauté in margarine with green onions until done, about
three to five minutes.
- Add cream and roux mixture.
- Dredge chayotes in seasoned flour, then in milk and egg mixture, then in
seasoned bread crumbs. Deep fry until golden brown.
- Spoon in the shrimp sauce and serve.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes