Chicken and Andouille Gumbo
- 1/2 pound andouille or kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/4-inch
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) chicken, cut
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves,
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon TABASCO brand pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon
freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Cooked rice
- In 3-quart saucepan, over medium-high heat, brown sausage in 2 tablespoons
oil, about 7 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add chicken pieces and cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes, turning
- Add water, cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken, leaving liquid in pan, and when chicken is cool enough to
handle, discard skin and bones and dice meat into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In skillet, over medium heat, mix remaining 2 tablespoons oil and flour
and cook, stirring constantly, until roux turns dark brown, about 30 minutes.
- Add onion, celery, green bell pepper, garlic and parsley and cook about
10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add vegetables to liquid in saucepan along with bay leaves, thyme, TABASCO
Sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered,
- Add chicken and sausage and simmer another 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, add green onions and adjust seasoning. Let gumbo stand
10 to 15 minutes.
- To serve, mound about 1/3 cup rice in each soup bowl, then ladle about 1
cup gumbo around rice.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutritional information per serving: 377 Calories, 23 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate,
19 g fat, 68 mg cholesterol, 451 mg sodium
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Uptown Red Beans and Rice
Louisiana-Style Red Bean Pasta Salad