- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast and thigh meat, boneless and
skinless, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian
link sausage, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 cups chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 heaping teaspoon purchased Cajun Seasoning
Mix, or to taste
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup chopped green onions and/or
- In large Dutch oven, warm oil. Add chicken and sauté over medium high heat
- Add sausage to pot; sauté with chicken.
- Remove both from pot.
- Add onions, celery, green pepper and garlic; sauté until tender, about 9-10
minutes. If making red jambalaya, add paprika.
- Return chicken and sausage to pot.
- Add stock (or stock and tomato juice or Bloody Mary mix if making red jambalaya)
and Cajun seasoning and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 25 minutes.
After 10 minutes of cooking, remove cover and quickly turn rice from top to
bottom completely. Continue cooking for remaining time.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add green onions and chopped tomatoes, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Reprinted with permission from
the National Chicken Council.