These Muffulettas put the emphasis on grilled chicken, with a rich Olive spread
over drizzled olive oil. They're enough to make any Cajun jump for joy.
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
- 1 1/2 cups bottled
pickled vegetables, drained
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, drained
- 1/2 cup
pimento stuffed green olives, drained
- 1 jar (1/2 cup) artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
pieces French sourdough bread, about 6 inches each, sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 2 cups Olive
- In food processor, place Olive Spread ingredients: roasted red peppers,
pickled vegetables, Kalamata olives, green olives, artichoke hearts, capers,
parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning, black pepper and olive oil. Chop by pulsing
until consistency of cole slaw.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Prepare gas or charcoal grill, or preheat broiler.
- Place chicken breast halves between two pieces of wax paper; pound gently
to 1/4 inch thickness. Brush each side of chicken with vegetable oil; season
with salt and pepper.
- Grill or broil for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until cooked throughout.
- Assemble sandwich by opening bread and drizzling each half with olive oil.
- Spread 1/2 cup Olive Spread on bottom of each sandwich; top with grilled
chicken and one slice of Swiss and one slice provolone cheese.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information, Per Serving: 870 calories; 42 g fat; 14 g saturated
fat; 68 g carbohydrate
From the Culinary Institute of New Orleans, Louisiana.
Reprinted with permission from
the National Chicken Council.