Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- 1 pound hot smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 chicken breast halves,
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 quarts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 to 1
teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Hot cooked rice
- Gumbo file (optional)
- Brown sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Remove to paper towels, leaving drippings in Dutch oven.
- Brown chicken in drippings; remove to paper towels, reserving drippings.
- Measure drippings, adding enough oil to measure 1/2 cup. Heat in Dutch oven
over medium heat until hot.
- Add flour to hot oil; cook, stirring constantly, until roux is the color
of chocolate (about 30 minutes).
- Add onion, bell pepper and celery; cook until vegetables are tender, stirring
often. Gradually stir in water; bring to a boil. Return chicken breasts to Dutch
oven; add garlic and next 5 ingredients. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour.
- Remove chicken; let cool. Return sausage to Dutch oven; cook gumbo, uncovered,
- Stir in scallions; cook, uncovered, an additional 30 minutes.
- Add salt, if desired. Bone chicken breasts and cut into strips. Add to gumbo
and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve gumbo over rice. Sprinkle with gumbo file, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Uptown Red Beans and Rice
Louisiana-Style Red Bean Pasta Salad