- 3/4 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 2 cups water
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1/2 pound
extra-lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (16
ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chiles, drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 cups
fresh cut okra or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra
teaspoon gumbo file powder
- 2 cups steamed rice
- Sort peas, then cover with water 2 inches above level of peas. Set aside
to soak for 6 to 8 hours.
- Drain peas, discarding water.
- In a medium saucepan, combine soaked peas, 2 cups water and bouillon. Bring
to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until peas are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Brown beef in a heavy pot until no longer pink.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juice, green chiles, broth, bay leaf, chili powder
and cayenne pepper. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add black-eyed peas, including cooking liquid, to beef mixture. Stir in
okra. Cover and simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Remove 1/2 cup liquid from gumbo. Stir in file powder. Return to gumbo,
- Serve over cooked rice.
Yield: 6 servings
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Uptown Red Beans and Rice
Louisiana-Style Red Bean Pasta Salad