Chocolate Pecan Pie
When you just need to indulge, choose pie, pecans and chocolate. You won't be
Best Flaky Pastry
- 1 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening or 1/3 cup lard
- 2 to 3
tablespoons cold water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine,
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons bourbon, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pecan halves or broken pecans
- 1 bag (6 ounces) semisweet
chocolate chips (1 cup)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, mix flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cut in shortening, using pastry blender or crisscrossing knives, until particles
are size of small peas.
- Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all
flour is moistened and pastry almost leaves side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more
water can be added if necessary).
- Gather pastry into a ball. Shape into flattened round on lightly floured surface.
- Roll pastry, using floured rolling pin, into circle 2 inches larger than upside-down
pie plate, 9 x 1 1/4 inches. Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate. Unfold
and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side. Trim overhanging edge
of pastry 1 inch from rim of pie plate. Fold and roll pastry under, even with plate;
flute as desired.
- In large bowl, beat sugar, butter, corn syrup, bourbon, 1/2 teaspoon salt and
the eggs with hand beater.
- Stir in pecans and chocolate chips.
- Pour into pastry-lined pie plate. Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of foil
to prevent excess browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake pie for 40 to 50 minutes or until set.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours until chilled.
Yield: 8 servings
Use Betty Crocker pie crust mix for the scratch pie crust in this recipe and
Decrease the butter to 1/4 cup and use only 1/2 cup pecans.
Garnish with whipped cream and Betty Crocker Dessert Decorations chocolate leaves.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 630 (Calories from Fat 315); Total
Fat 35g (Saturated Fat 14g, Trans Fat ncg); Cholesterol 105mg; Sodium 350mg; Total
Carbohydrate 76g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars ncg); Protein 6g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 2%; Iron 10%
Exchanges: nc Other Carbohydrate; nc Vegetable Carbohydrate Choices: nc
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker 2008/TM General Mills.