Coconut Praline Coffee Cake
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup soft butter
- Sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup unsifted confectioners'
- Cake: Place the evaporated milk, sugar, salt and eggs in large bowl of electric
mixer and beat until mixed.
- Add 1/2 cup butter and 2 cups flour and beat with mixer until smooth.
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water. Add with 1 cup flour to the milk mixture and
beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups flour and cover. Let rise for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until
doubled in bulk.
- Punch down. Turn out onto a well-floured pastry cloth or board and knead lightly.
Roll out into a 10 x 15-inch rectangle.
- Mix remaining butter, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and coconut and spread
on the dough. Roll from long side as for a jellyroll and place, seam side down,
in a greased 10-inch tube pan. Press ends together to seal, then cover.
- Let rise for about 1 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes and remove from pan. Frost with Praline
Frosting while warm. Decorate with pecan halves, if desired.
- Praline Frosting: Combine the brown sugar, evaporated milk and butter in a bowl.
Add the confectioners' sugar and beat until smooth.
Source: The Creole Cookbook - Oxmoor House 1976