- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 cups finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cups finely diced celery
- Louisiana Roux
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 1 pound green beans, 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound kielbasa, 1/4-inch slices
- 3 codfish steaks (1 pound each)
- Louisiana Roux: Stir together the flour and oil in a 3-quart micro-proof casserole.
Microwave at HIGH (100%) for 10 to 12 minutes, until flour is deep golden brown,
- Add the onion, green pepper and celery, tossing to coat.
- Gumbo: Microwave the finished Louisiana Roux at HIGH for 4 minutes, stirring
- Add garlic and microwave 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the bay leaf, thyme, oregano, black pepper, cayenne pepper and slat;
microwave 4 minutes, stirring once.
- Stir in chicken broth and clam juice. Microwave at HIGH for 6 minutes or until
thickened, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Cut up the tomatoes and stir them in along with the green beans; cover. Microwave
at HIGH for 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes, then add the kielbasa. Microwave
at HIGH for 4 minutes. Add more salt if you wish.
- Remove and discard the skin and bones from cod and cut steaks into 2-inch pieces.
Add them to the casserole. Cover with vented plastic wrap.
- Microwave at HIGH for 7 minutes, or until the fish is cooked, stirring gently
once or twice.
- Serve hot over white rice.