It doesn't get much better than this Crawdad Gumbo, folks!
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 3 1/2 pints combination crawfish fat and water
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher or sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon green onion tops
- 1 1/2 cups crawfish tails
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Make a golden roux with the oil and flour.
- Add onion, garlic and celery. Stir and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add crawfish fat and water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add salt and pepper. Simmer for 40 minutes.
- In another skillet, fry green onions and crawfish tails in butter over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add to gumbo. Put in file powder.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.