- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 3 1/2 pints combination crawfish fat and water
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher or sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon green onion tops
- 1 1/2 cups crawfish tails
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Make a golden roux with the oil and flour.
- Add onion, garlic and celery. Stir and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add crawfish fat and water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to
simmer and add salt and pepper. Simmer for 40 minutes.
- In another skillet, fry green onions and crawfish tails in butter over low
heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add to gumbo. Put in file powder.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes