- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/2 pound cooked, shelled and chopped crayfish
tails (shrimp may be substituted)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- Cayenne pepper or
hot sauce, to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a bowl combine flour and baking soda. Whisk in water. Stir in garlic, bell
pepper, scallions, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, salt and the shrimp, stirring
until well combined.
- Cover bowl and let batter stand for 1 hour.
- Tartar Sauce: In a bowl stir together the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, parsley,
cilantro, jalapeno, and red onion.
- Season with salt, cayenne and/or Tabasco. Chill.
- In a deep heavy pan or deep fryer heat 3 inches of oil to 325 degrees F.
- Drop spoonsful of batter into oil and fry the beignets, turning them once, until
- Transfer the beignets to a paper towel-lined sheet pan to drain.
- Season with salt.
- Continue frying remaining batter in same manner.
- Serve the beignets warm with the Tartar Sauce and lemon slices.
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Uptown Red Beans and Rice
Louisiana-Style Red Bean Pasta Salad