- 1 1/2 cups crawfish tails
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Crawfish fat and water to make 3 1/2 pints
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup canned whole tomatoes, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon green onion tops
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file
- Make a golden roux. Take pot off heat. Add onion, garlic and celery, stir and
cook 4 minutes.
- Return to heat. Add tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add fat, water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer and add
salt and pepper. Simmer for 40 minutes.
- In another skillet, fry in butter over low heat, green onions and tails, for
2 to 3 minutes.
- Add to gumbo. Put in file.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.