Creole Cabbage Rolls
Add a Creole twist to stuffed cabbage roll recipes. These rolls are stuffed with
ground beef, Italian sausage, onions and Zatarain’s Spanish Rice, covered in rich
tomato sauce. A delicious dinner recipe, or enjoy as a cold weather meal any time
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 package ZATARAIN'S® Spanish Rice
- 1 head cabbage, core removed
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add ground beef and sausage;
cook and stir until no longer pink.
- Stir in water, diced tomatoes and Rice Mix; bring to boil. Reduce heat to
low; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts lightly salted water to boil in large sauce pot.
Drop cabbage, stem-side down, into water. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 20
- Remove cabbage and carefully remove outer leaves. Return cabbage to simmering
water; simmer until outer leaves have softened.
- Repeat simmering and removal of cabbage leaves as necessary.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place about 1/3 cup of rice stuffing near core end of each cabbage leaf.
Fold in sides of leaf over stuffing, then roll up. Place rolls, seam-side down,
in 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Pour tomato sauce over top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until cabbage rolls are tender.
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 45 min | Yield: 15 servings
Variation: Top cabbage rolls with 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined,
during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Zatarain's