Creole Chicken with Rock Shrimp Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 whole skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons seeded, finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons seeded, finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded, chopped fresh or canned Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 pound rock shrimp or crawfish meat (small regular shrimp can also be used)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- In a 12-inch nonstick sauté pan over high heat, heat the oil. Add the chicken
and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover. Brown the chicken pieces on both sides,
about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter.
- In the sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, garlic, and
bell peppers, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour; cook 30 seconds longer, stirring constantly.
- Add the white wine, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the cayenne pepper, Creole seasoning, bay leaves, chicken stock, tomatoes,
and chicken. Bring the sauce to a boil; cover. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10
minutes or until the chicken pieces are cooked through and tender.
- Add the rock shrimp; cover. Cook 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Divide the chicken among four plates and pour equal amounts of sauce on top.
- Garnish with the parsley.
Yield: 4 servings
Posted by jerseyjan at Recipe Goldmine 7/9/01 6:46:49 am.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes