Creole Hot Pepper Sauce
- 5 quarts vinegar
- 5 quarts hot red peppers, washed
- 3 pounds onion, peeled,
- 3 whole garlic buds, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- Combine 4 quarts vinegar, peppers, onions, and garlic in a large Dutch oven;
bring to a boil. Cook over low heat until vegetables are tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain vegetables, reserving liquid. Place vegetables in blender; blend until
- Press vegetables through a rice strainer and discard seeds.
- Combine pureed vegetables, reserved vegetable liquid, and remaining ingredients
in a large Dutch oven. Cook until thickened over medium heat. Let mixture simmer
for 30 minutes.
- Quickly pour into sterilized jars, leaving 1/8-inch head space. Cover at once
with metal lids and screw metal band tight.
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Cajun Crab Salad
Cajun Minestrone with Italian Sausage
Ragin' Cajun Jambalaya
Grilled Cajun-Style Gator Tail