- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, lightly drained (fresh, canned, or mixed)
- 2 cups sliced okra (or green beans), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh hot pepper (or 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or a few fresh leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (reduce if tomatoes are salted)
- 3 cups cooked noodles or whole wheat spirals or shells
- 2 cups cooked kidney or pinto beans, drained
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in oil in a 3-quart pot for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add tomatoes, okra or green beans, parsley, and seasonings. Cover and simmer
for 15 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
- Add pasta and beans and simmer uncovered for several minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
For 3 cups noodles, cook 2 1/2 cups (5 ounces) pasta in boiling salted
water for 10 minutes or until al dente. This can be done either in advance or while
the sauce simmers.