- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, lightly drained
(fresh, canned, or mixed)
- 2 cups sliced okra (or green beans),
cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh hot pepper
(or 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried
basil or a few fresh leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (reduce if tomatoes are
- 3 cups cooked noodles or whole wheat spirals or shells
- 2 cups cooked
kidney or pinto beans, drained
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in oil in a 3-quart pot for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add tomatoes, okra or green beans, parsley, and seasonings. Cover and simmer
for 15 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
- Add pasta and beans and simmer uncovered for several minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
For 3 cups noodles, cook 2 1/2 cups (5 ounces) pasta in boiling salted
water for 10 minutes or until al dente. This can be done either in advance or while
the sauce simmers.
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Cajun Crab Salad
Cajun Minestrone with Italian Sausage
Ragin' Cajun Jambalaya
Grilled Cajun-Style Gator Tail