Creole Pork Stew
- 3 to 3 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast
- 3 teaspoons Paul Prudhomme's
Pork and Veal Magic or Creole seasoning, divided
- 2 tablespoons
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green
bell peppers, chopped
- 5 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes with juices,
stem end removed, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- Trim excess fat from roast and cut into 1- to 2-inch cubes. Season pork with
2 teaspoons of the seasoning.
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a heavy, 5-quart Dutch oven. Working
in batches, add half the pork and brown for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove pork to bowl and cook remaining pork. Remove to
- In same pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, green pepper and celery
and cook for 10 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Add garlic, remaining 1 teaspoon of seasoning, the black pepper, thyme and oregano.
Stir and cook for 2 minutes to blend.
- Add wine, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juices and crushed tomatoes, mix well and simmer over low heat
for 10 minutes.
- Add pork and any accumulated juices from bowl, the hot sauce and salt. Mix well
and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add kidney beans, stir and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or rice with French bread or garlic bread.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition values per serving: 498 calories, 21 g fat, 27 g carbohydrates,
9 g fiber, 48 g protein, 137 mg cholesterol, 337 mg sodium
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Cajun Crab Salad
Cajun Minestrone with Italian Sausage
Ragin' Cajun Jambalaya
Grilled Cajun-Style Gator Tail