Creole Red Beans and Rice (Louisiana French)
This is a favorite New Orleans lunch.
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans
- 1 1/2 pounds ham hock or ham bone with
generous amount of meat
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- Place beans and ham hock in a large pot. Cover with water. Water should be 1/2
to 3/4 inch above beans. Heat.
- When beans and water are hot, add bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic, seasonings
and jalapeno pepper. Cook slowly for 2 to 3 hours or until gravy is thick and beans
- Salt to taste.
- Serve over fluffy white rice.
Yield: 4 servings
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Cajun Crab Salad
Cajun Minestrone with Italian Sausage
Ragin' Cajun Jambalaya
Grilled Cajun-Style Gator Tail