Creole Rice Snack Cakes
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg*
- Vegetable oil
- Confectioners' sugar
- Pour rice into 3 cups of RAPIDLY boiling water. Cook until tender. Do not cover.
- Drain, then chill and mash.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Add to rice; mix well and then let
rise overnight (outside of refrigerator). Keep covered with a dish towel or loose
- Add eggs, sugar and flour to the rice mixture; beat thoroughly. Let rise for
15 minutes; stir in nutmeg.
- Drop by large spoonsful into deep, HOT oil. Fry until golden brown, drain on
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
* Alternative seasonings: Lemon extract, cinnamon, cardamom, orange extract,
grated orange zest.