Creole Shrimp Pot Pies
- 1 (11 ounce) package piecrust mix
- 1/2 (5 ounce) jar pasteurized process sharp Cheddar cheese spread
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1 pound medium-size fresh shrimp
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine piecrust mix, cheese spread, and 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning with a pastry blender until crumbly. Sprinkle 1/2 cup water, 1 tablespoon at a time, evenly over
surface; stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened. Shape into a ball.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Place tomatoes, cut side down, on a 15 x 10-inch jellyroll pan lined with aluminum
- Broil 5 inches from heat 14 to 16 minutes or until skin is charred; cool.
- Remove and discard skins, reserving tomatoes and liquid; coarsely chop tomatoes. Set aside.
- Peel shrimp; devein, if desired. Set aside.
- Cook sausage and next 4 ingredients in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high
heat 7 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Stir in roasted tomatoes with liquid, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning,
salt, and pepper; bring just to a simmer.
- Add shrimp, and cook over medium heat just until shrimp turn pink. Do not overcook.
- Spoon mixture evenly into 4 (1 1/2- to 2-cup) ungreased ovenproof bowls.
- Divide piecrust mixture into 4 portions. Roll each portion on a lightly floured
surface into 6 1/2-inch circles. Place dough over bowls. (Dough should overlap bowl
slightly.) Place bowls on a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden.
Yield: 4 servings