Creole Shrimp and Sausage with Rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or ground red peppe
- 4 cups cooked long grain white rice
- 1/2 pound andouille or smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces cooked red beans, rinsed
- Heat oil in saucepan; add celery, onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook over
medium heat until tender.
- Once tender add chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and spices; cook,
stirring occasionally, 5 to 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened and
flavors are blended.
- Brown andouille in large skillet. Add shrimp, beans and Creole
Tomato-Vegetable Sauce. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook 5 to 10 minutes
or until shrimp turn pink and flavors are blended.
- Spoon mixture over rice, or toss with rice.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe and photo credit: USA Rice thinkrice.com