Creole Shrimp Stew
- 1/3 cup chopped bacon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 green onions,
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups seafood stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Creole spices
- 2 pounds uncooked,
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
* Instead of using bacon fat to blend with the flour, it can be drained off and
you can use oil.
- Cook bacon in large, heavy pan over medium heat until fat escapes and bacon is
- Blend in flour and whisk until it burns a peanut brown color.
- Add celery, onion, green pepper and green onions and cook, stirring until vegetables
soften, about 10 minutes.
- Blend in tomato paste, seafood stock, water, lemon juice, sugar and spices to
- Stir to blend mixture into a roux. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer
very slowly, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Add uncooked, shelled, deveined shrimp and parsley and continue to cook over
low heat, just until shrimp turn pink.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve hot over hot rice.
Yield: 4 servings
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Cajun Crab Salad
Cajun Minestrone with Italian Sausage
Ragin' Cajun Jambalaya
Grilled Cajun-Style Gator Tail