Creole Steak with Jambalaya Rice
- 1 pound sirloin tip steaks, cut 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, divided
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no salt added or regular diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat in 3-quart saucepan until hot. Add
onion, celery, bell pepper and 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning; cook 8 to 10 minutes
or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes and rice. Cover and continue cooking 2 to 4 minutes or
until heated through, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, press remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning evenly onto
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat
until hot. Cooking in batches, place steaks in skillet (do not overcrowd) and
cook 1 to 3 minutes for medium rare (145 degrees F) doneness, turning once.
(Do not overcook.)
- Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining Steaks and oil.
- Serve steaks topped with rice mixture.
Total Time: 25 to 30 min | Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 340 calories; 11 g fat (2 g saturated
fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 66 mg cholesterol; 607 mg sodium; 30 g carbohydrate;
3.7 g fiber; 29 g protein; 9.4 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 3.4 mcg vitamin B12;
4.2 mg iron; 34.8 mcg selenium; 7.4 mg zinc; 89.4 mg choline
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12,
iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and choline.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):