Creole Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup minced onion, divided
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1/4 cup minced green pepper (optional)
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 1/2 cup light cream or undiluted evaporated milk
- 1 (1 pound 4 ounce) can tomatoes (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Rinse peppers; cut into thin slices from stem, removing seeds. Boil peppers in
water with 1 1/4 teaspoons salt; lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Combine meat with 1/4 cup onion, celery, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup minced green
pepper, egg and cream.
- Drain peppers, stuff with meat mixture. Place in an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In saucepan, combine tomatoes, 1/4 cup onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, sugar, cinnamon
and cloves; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Drain, reserving liquid.
- Stir in flour and cold water until smooth and add to strained liquid. Cook, stirring
until slightly thickened, pour over peppers.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings