Creole-Style Pork Stew
Tender pork and andouille smoked sausage swimming in a broth enhanced with the
trinity and other great flavors.
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups onion, chopped (about 1 large onion)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 links andouille smoked sausage, chopped (about 1 pound, 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced or chopped (about 4 large cloves)
- 4 cups chicken stock, or 1 (32 ounce) carton low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne, depending on personal taste
- 2 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Hot pepper sauce, or white vinegar
- 4 cups long-grain rice, cooked
- Make a roux by heating oil in a large, heavy pot over low heat. Stir in
flour; cook and stir over low heat until mixture turns a rich red-brown color
(about 20 to 25 minutes).
- Remove from heat; carefully stir in onion, celery, bell pepper and about
1 cup chopped sausage.
- Return pot to heat; cook and stir 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in garlic, chicken stock or broth and tomato paste.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, sage, oregano and cayenne pepper;
bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add pork pieces and reduce heat to simmer; cook uncovered for about 1 1/2
hours or until pork is tender.
- Stir in remaining chopped sausage; cook 5 minutes more to heat through.
(At this stage, if you do not want to serve right away, stew may be refrigerated
for up to 2 days.)
- Discard bay leaves and skim any visible fat, if desired.
- Add salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce to taste.
- To serve, spoon 1/2 cup rice into shallow soup bowls; ladle some of pork
mixture over top.
- Add more hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings
Variation: Add 1 pound okra cut into 1/2-inch pieces during the last 20 minutes
of cooking time.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 692 calories Protein: 38 grams Fat: 42
grams Sodium: 1234 milligrams Cholesterol: 104 milligrams Saturated Fat: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 38 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
This recipe was developed by Chef Bruce Aidells, author of Bruce Aidells’s Complete
Book of Pork.
Reprinted with permission from
the National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Cajun Crab Salad
Cajun Minestrone with Italian Sausage
Ragin' Cajun Jambalaya
Grilled Cajun-Style Gator Tail