Creole Swiss Steak
- 1 1/2 pounds round steak
- Seasoned flour
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced bell pepper
- 3/4 cup onion, sliced into rings
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon sage
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Roll meat in flour. Sauté in skillet with 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Place in baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter in skillet and sauté the bell pepper, onion and mushrooms
until onions are clear.
- Add remaining ingredients, blending well. Spread over meat in baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 1 3/4 hours.
- Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
This can also be cooked on top of the stove by covering tightly and cooking on
low for 1 1/2 hours.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes