Dressed Shrimp Po' Boys
- 2 1/2 teaspoons TABASCO® brand Original Red Sauce, divided
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 4 (6-inch) pieces, or 4 (6-inch) hero rolls
- Oil for deep-frying
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- Dill pickle slices (optional)
- Combine mayonnaise, garlic, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the TABASCO® Sauce in
a small bowl.
- Split French bread or rolls in half; scoop out some of the soft insides
and discard. Spread inside of bread halves with mayonnaise
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep-fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, combine egg and milk in a small bowl.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a shallow pan.
- Sprinkle shrimp with salt to taste and the remaining 1 teaspoon
TABASCO® Sauce; toss well.
- Dip shrimp into egg mixture, then coat with cornmeal mixture.
Shake off excess coating and fry in hot oil until golden brown, about 3
minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Fill bottom halves of bread with hot shrimp and top with lettuce, tomato,
dill pickle slices, if desired, and top of bread.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 po'boys
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Photo credit: wallyg
>> Cajun and Creole recipes