Let your slow cooker do all the work. The result is a flavorful Forgotten Jambalaya that will have guests believing that you slaved over a hot stove most of the day.
Prep: 15 min | Cook: 6 hr 30 min | Yield: 10 servings
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef or chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Stir in the celery, bell peppers, onion, garlic and seasonings. Stir in sausage.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook 15 to 30 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
- Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled stew in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.