French Market Beignets
Beignets, like any doughnut, are best served hot and fresh out of the fryer and
with a hot cup of café au lait.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 7 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup Crisco shortening, softened
- confectioners' sugar
- oil (for deep frying)
- Put 1 1/2 cups warm water in a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over the water then
stir well to dissolve the yeast.
- When the yeast is dissolved and frothing add sugar, salt and milk.
- Beat the two eggs and add to the bowl. Add Crisco. Stir well and slowly add the
7 cups of flour. Stir until the flour is well mixed in and the dough is in a big
ball, cover with plastic and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day roll small pieces of dough on a floured board. Roll as thin as you
can and cut into 2-inch squares.
- Fry in 360 degree F oil for about 3 minutes until light brown.
- Shake the beignets in a bag in confectioners' sugar.