This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Fried Jambalaya Balls
Spicy sausage and rice balls get fried to crispy golden brown for the perfect
game day appetizer.
- 1 pound Odom's Tennessee Pride® Mild Country Sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro*Tel® Hot Diced Tomatoes with Habaneros, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) package Jambalaya rice dinner mix
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups Pure Wesson® Vegetable Oil
- Cook sausage and red pepper flakes in large saucepan over
medium-high heat until browned and crumbled, about 8 minutes; drain.
Stir in undrained tomatoes, 2 cups water, rice mix and Cajun seasoning;
bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender,
about 25 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese. Pour into 9x13-inch baking dish. Refrigerate
until cool enough to handle, about 1 hour.
- Place panko bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Whisk together eggs and
2 tablespoons water in a second shallow dish. Place flour in third shallow dish.
- Use a table knife to make cuts and divide sausage mixture into 18
portions. Roll each portion into a football shape. Coat each ball in
flour followed by egg and panko breadcrumbs. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat to 350 degrees F. Fry until
golden brown, about 8 minutes, turning occasionally.
Prep time: 60 min | Total time: 2 hr | Yield: 18 servings
Nutrition Information: 217 calories, 17g Carbs
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Conagra Brands, Inc.