Grillades and Jalapeno Grits
- 1 pound round steak
- 1/2 pound fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Cut round steak into serving pieces and season with salt, pepper and flour. Add
steaks to hot oil in a cast iron skillet to brown. Turn over when brown and brown
on the other side.
- Add onion, garlic, bell pepper and 1/2 cup water. Lower heat. Cover and simmer
about 1 hour or until meat is tender. Keep adding water if gravy dries out.
- Add hot pepper sauce and tomatoes and cook 15 minutes longer.
- Serve over grits. Pass the French bread.
- Grits: Prepare grits the usual way, adding 2 to 3 seeded, minced jalapenos.
Yield: 4 servings