Grilled Cajun Chuck Roast with
Spicy Cheddar Grits
- 1 beef Shoulder, Arm or Blade Roast Boneless (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning blend
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with onion, undrained
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Press Cajun seasoning evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast. Place two
24 x 18-inch pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil on top of each other in shallow
roasting pan; place roast in center of foil. Bring up all sides of foil forming
a bag and so no liquid can leak out; do not seal.
- Combine tomatoes and flour in small bowl; pour evenly over surface of pot
roast. Seal top and sides of bag with double fold.
- Prepare grill for indirect cooking by igniting an equal number of charcoal
briquettes on each side of the fire grate, leaving open space in center. When
coals are medium, ash-covered (about 25 to 30 minutes), add 3 to 4 new briquettes
to each side. Place aluminum foil drip pan in center of grate between coals.
Position cooking grid with handles over coals, so briquettes may be added as
- Remove foil bag from pan and place in center of grid over drip pan. Grill,
covered, 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until roast is fork-tender. (Add 3 to 4 briquettes
per side every 30 minutes to maintain heat.)
- Meanwhile prepare grits. Cooks grits in water with salt according to package
directions. Add 1/2 cup cheese and red pepper; stir until cheese melts; keep
- Remove foil packet to clean shallow pan. Using oven mitts, cut packet open
with sharp knife. Carefully fold back top of packet allowing steam to escape.
Remove roast; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid.
- Carve roast into slices; serve with cooking liquid and grits. Sprinkle cheese
over grits, as desired.
- To prepare on gas grill, preheat grill according to manufacturer’s directions
for medium indirect heat. Place pot roast on grid as directed above. Grill, covered,
2 to 2 1/2 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender.
Total Recipe Time: 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours
Makes 6 servings
When checking roast for tenderness, open foil bag carefully so it can be resealed
if further grilling is needed.
Nutrition information per serving: 381 calories; 14 g fat (6 g saturated
fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 95 mg cholesterol; 1101 mg sodium; 27 g carbohydrate;
0.9 g fiber; 36 g protein; 5.1 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 3.2 mcg vitamin B12;
4.8 mg iron; 36.8 mcg selenium; 6.9 mg zinc
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B12, iron, selenium
and zinc; and a good source of vitamin B6.
Reprinted with permission from
the Beef Checkoff.