Idaho® Potato Beignets
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup prepared instant Idahoan mashed potatoes, cooled
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 cups dry instant Idahoan mashed potatoes
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup powdered sugar for topping
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, set aside.
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Beat in cold potatoes, eggs, cooled milk, yeast mixture and salt.
- Sift the flour and dry instant mashed potatoes together, reserving
1/4 cup of the flour to use for dusting the work surface.
- Mix the flour into the potato mixture, adding just enough to make a
soft dough. Knead well.
- Place dough in greased bowl; cover and let rise in warm place until
doubled in bulk, 30-60 minutes.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a well-floured 2-inch
square cutter (pizza cutter works great too) into 2 x 2-inch squares.
Let rise uncovered about 30 minutes.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F in a heavy saucepan.
- Putting just a few of the beignets in the oil at a time, fry for two
minutes, flip and fry until golden on the other side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Shake beignets with powdered sugar.
- Serve immediately.
Photo by: Kita Roberts
Source: David Woolley, CD Culinary Approach
Credit: Idaho Potato Commission
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help maintain Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.