Jumbo New Orleans Shrimp
The cook who submitted this full-flavored seafood recipe encourages you to have
lots of French bread on hand to sop up the extra sauce.
- 3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green, red, or yellow sweet pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground red pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 8 to 12 jumbo shrimp (about 12 ounces), peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- French bread
- In a large skillet, cook mushrooms, onion, sweet pepper, shallots, garlic, and
parsley in the 2 tablespoons hot butter until tender.
- Add undrained tomatoes, salt, and ground red pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce
heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine egg and milk. Dip shrimp into egg mixture,
then into flour to coat.
- In another skillet, fry shrimp in the 1/4 cup hot butter about 5 minutes or until
shrimp are opaque and coating is golden and crisp, turning once.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a shallow serving dish; arrange shrimp in tomato mixture.
- Serve with French bread.
Yield: 4 servings | Start to finish: 25 min
Per serving: 344 cal., 18 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 96 mg chol., 614 mg
sodium, 32 g carbo., 2 g fiber, and 13 g pro. Dietary exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2
very-lean meat, 3 fat
Posted by Darlene at Recipe Goldmine on March 20, 2002 at 08:31:35.