Kickin' Cajun Dirty Rice
Dirty rice mix makes this Cajun main dish a snap to make.
- 1 pound ground beef (75% to 80% lean)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (5.7 to 8 ounce) package Cajun-style dirty rice mix
- Water, as needed
(14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef; cook
for 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
- Pour off drippings.
- Stir in rice mix and water amount indicated in package directions, omitting oil
or margarine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook according to time indicated
in package directions or until rice is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Total Recipe Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should
be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. Color is not a reliable indicator
of Ground Beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 393 calories; 15 g fat (6 g saturated
fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 76 mg cholesterol; 757 mg sodium; 35 g carbohydrate;
3.6 g fiber; 28 g protein; 5.1 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12;
3.5 mg iron; 18.5 mcg selenium; 5.5 mg zinc
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12,
iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.
Reprinted with permission from
the Beef Checkoff.
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Cajun Blooming Onion
Louisiana Sweet Potato Pancakes
Lemon Cream King Cake