Louisiana Crab au Gratin
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound crabmeat, claw
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In saucepot, heat butter over medium heat; add onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add milk and whip until milk starts to thicken. Lower heat and simmer
for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup cheese, Creole seasoning, hot sauce, thyme and nutmeg. Continue to
cook over low heat until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in crabmeat and green onions.
- Pour into an 8-inch square greased baking dish and top with the remaining cheese
and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings