Louisiana Crabmeat Dressing
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 green onions including green tops, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fine, dry white bread crumbs plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pick over the crabmeat to remove any bits of shells.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Worcestershire, Cajun seasoning
and the beaten egg; set aside.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, melt the 2 tablespoons butter. Add the celery,
onion, green onions, bell pepper, and parsley; cook, stirring constantly, until
the vegetables are soft.
- Remove from the heat and allow the vegetables to cool completely.
- Stir the cooled vegetables into the mayonnaise sauce mixture.
- Gently fold in the crabmeat and enough breadcrumbs to hold the mixture together
without being either too soupy or too dry.
- Spoon into a 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle the top of the dressing lightly
with breadcrumbs then drizzle with melted butter.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or
until the top is a golden brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Serve hot.